Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen (Review)

7:23 PM

Note: I am not being paid to write about this book. I picked it in my own free time and paid for it with my own money :)



Set in Lakeview, a small suburbia, in the late 90's, Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen, reeks of the past yet someone reminds us of the present, and tells the story of Halley Cooke's junior year in high school. 

Narrated by Halley, we find out that her mom has taken control of her life, and not given Halley any room to breathe the last few weeks of her life. Her world is turned upside when she receives a call at summer camp from her childhood best-friend, Scarlett, who tells her that Michael Sherwood, Scarlett's boyfriend since the beginning of summer, has passed away in a motorcycle accident. She returns home early from camp to go to Michael's funeral with Scarlett, standing by her the whole time.

On the first day back at school, Halley is aquatinted with Macon, a mysterious boy who's up to no good, as Halley's mother believes. He constantly drives by their house, disturbing the neighbors. When Mrs. Cooke finds out he's become Halley's boyfriend, she decides not to put up with in anymore. Meanwhile, Scarlett has taken three pregnancy tests and is sure that she's pregnant with Michael Sherwood's baby. Throughout the novel, Halley stands by Scarlett in her decision to keep the baby, all up to birth.

The story is quite similar in tone and feeling to Sarah Dessen's other books, like This Lullaby and  Just Listen. It's a classic YA, chick-lit, summer read. A very girly, somewhat romantic novel.

Subject matters include sex, teen pregnancy, and the mother-daughter relationship. While themes are the true meaning of love and friendship, as well as learning to define yourself and not letting others do it for you.

Personally, I loved this read. It might be because I'm a daughter who loves her mother so very much, but I felt very reassured by this book. I'm not just some goodie-goodie, OKAY! It made me feel as if I've been doing the right thing all of these years, by taking what my mother has said to me in consideration when making my life choices. It will certainly make you think of this too. The characters were extremely realistic; Halley's thought process exactly resembled one that I had had at one point or another.

I've read a few Sarah Dessen books, but Someone Like You makes me want to read more. I'd recommend this book to teens ages 15+, since it deals with so many issues. However, I believe my recommendation might be a little conservative compared to others, so read as you wish.

In my To Be Read pile right now: The Maze Runner by James Dashner, Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor, and This Star Won't Go Out by Esther Earl.

Let me know what you think of these book reviews. I'm going to be doing more, as well as a reflection on my reading from high school.

Thanks for reading!


Brooke

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images