Words of Wisdom From Grandpa

4:02 PM

Hi there!

A wise man once told asked me, "Someone is going to do it, so why not you?" and it changed my life.

I'm headed off to college in 11 days, and it's been putting a lot of things into perspective for me. Above all, how big my dreams are and how hard they can be to achieve.

In high school I was at the top of my class, and I do know I'm pretty smart. However, at the beginning of the summer I had started to realize that there are people much, much smarter than I am, those who have strong talents of many kinds. This is inevitable in our world.

So, my dreams of becoming a best-selling author, of changing children's lives in certain ways, began to seem too far out of reach for the caliber of person that I am. I started thinking that there were others who were better at writing, at being with children, and they would get there before me; they were going to follow my dreams and I would be watching in the dust of their success and happiness.

I never said this to my grandpa, but I think he could see it in me. I was losing hope at becoming who I had wanted to be. That wasn't the go-getter girl he'd known forever, and so he reached out to me with those words: someone is going to do it, so why not you?

I haven't felt the disappointment I was feeling at the beginning of the summer since. Whenever a thought comes to my mind telling myself that I'm not a good writer, or I'll never be able to change someone's world, I stop and say to myself someone is going to do it, so why not me?

It's the truest thing I've ever been told and told myself. I want to encourage everyone out there to do what they have always dreamed, go after it, and don't lose sight of it, because one day it will be done and why shouldn't it be you? If you go after it with everything you have, it very well could be. It's going to be hard work though, don't kid yourself there.

Be an artist, be an author, play college baseball, find a cure, go to medical school, start your own business, make YouTube videos, create, create, and create, because someone is going to do it...so why not you? If you want to, all you have to do is go after it.

Never doubt yourself,


~Brooke

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images