Short: On Writing

10:49 PM

Sometimes I love writing so much that I need to stop penning the story that I've been churning over in my brain and write about writing. I don't know why, but it helps me clear my head. When I'm stuck on some situation brewing in my mind for a story, I can return to why I love to create these stories so much and it refuels me.

Rainbow Rowell wrote in her novel Fangirl that, "There is nothing more profound than creating something out of nothing." God, does that resonate with me. Writing, while you don't have to be imagining stories, is the act of sculpting words. No two essays, poems, books, or short stories will be the same because of the way you choose to craft them; it's entirely up to you. Making something that could have an affect on someone out of merely the thoughts that exist in your head? That blows my mind, yet I'm able to create every single day.

That freedom can be both liberating and daunting. First, you're given the opportunity to get your feelings down, or the lives of the people in your head; you get the chance to get their story down. So you write it. Or maybe you get scared that you're not telling it the way it's supposed to be, and you can't write anymore. That's pretty scary. The next part is the other scary part. Once you get it written, you have the And Then What? This is the part where you're not sure what to do with it, but most of you is telling you that it's trash and you shouldn't do anything with it anyway. The other, small part of you is saying that if you just edited it, or showed it to someone, that it could be worth something. But those two things are scary in themselves.

Writing is both a joy and terror, but never a burden.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I enjoy the way you always poetry your thoughts, keep doing what you do :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and your compliment! I'm glad that you enjoyed my writing :)

      Delete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images