Healthy Dorm Snacks

9:13 AM

Hey Friends,

So if you were unaware, I'm currently in college living in a dorm. I wrote a post for our student blogs (I get paid to blog for my school, how cool, right?!) about eating healthy in the dorms, but though that I should write one here too. 

I've made this chart of healthy dorm snacks. I mean, you don't have to live in a dorm to eat healthy snacks, but I have found that college has been challenging for me when it comes to eating right. Therefore, I only keep things that are okay to munch on. So no candy, cookies, pop, etc for me in my room; I'd eat way to much of it. I know my limits, so I control it by not buying that stuff!


So. First up on our hit list is...

1. Fresh fruit. God I love you, fresh fruit. At the dining hall, our fruit options are pretty limited. That's why I like to keep some in my fridge at my dorm! Fruit is so good for you, packed with vitamins and antioxidants, and it's a good, healthy way to munch on something sweet.

2. Rice Cakes. I know what you're thinking...Rice cakes are undoubtedly to most boring food to ever hit the shelves. As someone who has tried rice cakes, I can see where you're coming from. However, if you don't like them plain, why not try them with some hummus or a bit of peanut butter? That's what I do a lot, and I absolutely love it.

3. Nuts. But nuts are full of fat, Brooke! Dude, I know. That's why you can't eat too many of them, though I know they're addicting. A small handful of nuts a day can be beneficial for you, your heart, and the rest of your body!

4. Low-sugar Cereal. This one can be hard. Cereal, no matter what kind, is often at least a little bit bad for you. I've found one that I like, with only 5g of sugar! It's the Kashi brand Heart to Heart Honey Toasted Oat Cereal. This cereal is low in sugar, high in fiber, low in sodium, and high in vitamins! I like it to munch on for a snack or for breakfast.

5. Snapea Crisps. My god, if you haven't discovered these things yet, I feel bad for you. They should replace all potato chips. Down with potato chips, up with Snapea Crisps. Need I say more? Salty and delicious, and the fact that I can have a lot of them without feeling crappy says a lot, too.

6. Kashi Bars. Or any other low-sugar granola bar. I find these perfect for snacks on the go or for breakfast. You really need to look at the sugar content, though. Anything above 8g and I usually put it back on the shelf. Some of my favorites Kashi bars are the Almond and Seasalt with Chia Seeds, Honey Oat Flax, and the Dark Chocolate Coconut.

There are a lot more healthy foods that you can keep in your room to avoid binging on chips and cookies. Try vegetables, too. They weren't on my list, but some people say they're pretty good for you. I'd go for baby carrots, cucumbers, and some hummus. Yum.

Eating healthy is really important, not only for your weight but also for the rest of your body and your mind. We've been given one shell to live in here on earth, and it would be a shame to waste it all. God made us with so much love, to throw that away is meaningless. Your body will thank you after you start making positive changes in your life.

Thanks for reading, I hope I helped you with some yummy snack suggestions!

See ya next time,


You Might Also Like

43 comments

  1. mmm...That sounds delicious and so healthy, and cheap too! I love eating low-sugar cereal plain without milk as a snack sometimes. A little weird but it settles my cravings! <3

    xx Bash | Bash Says Hey | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Bash. It's just nice to munch on sometimes. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. I love Snapea crisps! My favorite snacks in college were rice cakes and peanut butter, as well as KIND bars. So clearly you have great taste (literally). :)
    Randi with an i

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Randi! I like to think I have great taste (punny) too. My mom really likes KIND bars, but I prefer Kashi, I'd say they're pretty similar though :)

      Brooke

      Delete
  3. Oh yum! And how awesome that your school pays you for this. I would have loved to have snacks like this when I was in school. x

    http://morningchampagne.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My school actually pays me for a different blog, not this one! This one is all on my own, and I don't make any money at all from it. I probably should have been more clear on that :) Thanks for reading, Stephanie!

      Delete
  4. This is a great post! I'm in college too, and I love your picks! The Kashi dark chocolate bars are my favorite to bring with me to classes, and the snap pea crisps are yummy too :) These are so great for eating healthy in the dorms!
    xo Kiki
    https://colormekiki.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great picks!! I am SO addicted to snapea crisps. I'm also in college, and the Kashi cookies are also really great for when you're craving something sweet :)

    I'm doing a giveaway over on my blog, it'd be awesome if you went and checked it out!!
    whitnibble.blogspot.com I Naked Basics Palette Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try out the Kashi cookies! Thanks, Whitney!

      Delete
  6. Snacking is my nemesis, it's just so easy to reach for a bag of crisps or a chocolate bar. This is a really good post hun. And amazing that you're paid to blog for your school, you go girl ;)

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. THANK YOU <3 Next year I will be at university and living in a dorm as well, and I have been looking for this post everywhere! Healthy dorm snacks! So useful, thank you dear <3 Kisses from Hungary xo

    Csenge | Csenge's Point

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Csenge! Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  8. This is a great post idea! Eating healthily is quite a challenge for many people for many different reasons, but I too found that it was the hardest at college! Luckily I wasn't living in a dorm though, can't even imagine how that would have affected my eating habits... So these are some grea trecommendations!
    x Motte
    http://mottesblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been the hardest for me here too, Motte! Thank you so much for giving this a read :)

      Delete
  9. I love this list! For me, this is great for when I need snacks at work (which happens a LOT!) I love having rice cakes, nuts, fresh fruit, and granola bars.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These all look so good and cheap!
    www.norawears.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. i really need to start eating healthier snacks! thanks for the tips

    Lori Hearts // Check out my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. amazing blog post !!

    thanks for sharing :)


    would love to know your thoughts on my new post Jadiee'sLittleBlog

    MyBlogloving

    MyFacebook

    Have a nice day

    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love nuts. I don't know if you have this there but I love dried seaweed snack. The spicy ones especially!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of that! I'll have to try it out sometime :)

      Delete
  14. I remember dorm life. I seriously ate an entire jar of honey-peanut butter and a bag of crackers in one day, lol. Not having a kitchen sucked. I didn't gain the freshman 15, but I ate pretty crappy for the most part, but hey it was college so I don't regret it.

    Have you tried pop corners? They're good snacks, and delicious too.

    Z · JPOTTER

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried those! Maybe I will :) Thanks!

      Delete
  15. I love blueberries!
    So it's a must for me
    XO

    Check my new post.
    The Bandwagon Chic | Instagram | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blueberries are the best :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Oh, I don't always eat this way :) Chocolate and chips have to make their way into my diet sometimes. Thanks for reading :)

      Delete
  17. So healthy! Je trouve que c'est une bonne idée parle des aliments bonne pour la santé!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oui je suis d'accord avec vous :) C'est très important!

      Delete
  18. Awesome picks! I relied on fresh fruit, granola and mini yogurts :)

    Erin | Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to keep more yogurt in my room! The problem is that I don't have a car, so I have no where to go and get some :( Thanks for reading, Erin!

      Delete
  19. i absolutely love fruit and rice cakes! i'm starting univeristy soon and cannot wait to stock up aha. i've never heard of snapea snacks, but they sound real goood!

    i just posted a 'blogger problems' post
    Georgia x | Georgia Nicolaou Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best way to avoid eating poorly is to stock up on the healthy stuff and not the bad stuff...in fact, just avoid buying that stuff at all! You should try the snapea crisps, they're so yummy :)

      Delete
  20. omg!! i want to try that snap pea crisps!! :D

    Have a great week!
    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  21. This post made ms sooooo hungry, Brooke! I've got to go to the nearest store where I can buy healthy food — now! :P Haha! Lovely post, as always! <3

    Salvé at INDIE KITTY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Salvé! I appreciate you reading this post and taking the time to reply :) Go get all the healthy food!!

      Delete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images