On Being Alone - Easter Sunday Reflection

11:06 AM


I'm spending this Easter Sunday in my dorm room, alone. It's my first year at college, and we were only given Good Friday off to go home. I could've gone, but my mom and little brother are out of the country, and my step-dad and step-sisters were in Texas until last night; there wasn't really a point.

So I've been spending this weekend on a basically empty campus, binge-watching Gossip Girl and perfecting my blog design. I've had a lot of time to think.

I haven't been lonely. I like being alone, really. I do love being around people...I love making them laugh and smile, trying to bring out the best in them, but I'm still an introvert. In a college environment, it's hard to get time alone, and this weekend might have been exactly what I needed to refresh myself.

I never thought I could do a major holiday alone. I guess this is just a big sign that I'm growing up. And I'm happy about it. I can do things on my own without feeling alone. To me, that's a huge sign of security and being happy where you are as well as being happy with who you are.

Going into college, I was worried I'd end up one of those students who moves back home and lives there forever because they just couldn't handle being so far away from their family; I was worried I'd never grow as a person. I couldn't picture myself grocery shopping alone, not to mention living alone. Now it's all different - I want an apartment in a small city, where I can be creative as well as have the opportunity to have an impact on kids through teaching one day. I want to cook my own meals and design my own rooms. I want to live my life to the fullest.

Yes, you need people in your life to be there for you, and you need to reciprocate that and be there for them as well. But don't forget about yourself. Being alone is something that will happen to you a lot throughout life, even on Easter. It's worth it to become comfortable with just the voice in your mind and the presence of your own body.

Love yourself, but also know yourself and be with yourself. Think about the last time you were really alone, how did you feel? I hope it was a positive feeling.

Have a blessed Easter Sunday,


You Might Also Like

27 comments

  1. I quite like spending time alone as well, so I don't think I would mind too much being at uni alone over easter! I hope you had a nice day anyway!

    The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been having a very nice day, thank you! It was lovely of you to stop by xx

      Brooke

      Delete
  2. This is such a lovely post, I'm also an introverted person and love spending time alone but I also enjoy being around others - as long as I have my quiet breaks.

    Kathryn | Nimble Note

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I am. Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Kathryn! xx

      Brooke

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post! I recommend you read 'Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking', It made me feel better about being an introvert lol x

    ambershabits.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amber! I have read Quiet already, and I agree that it's a very helpful book. On my way to check out your blog xx

      Brooke

      Delete
  5. Well your blog is looking fab so you put that time to good use. I do enjoy being alone but I suppose there is a limit.
    Tegan xx - Permanent Procrastination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tegan :) I definitely think that we still need to be around people, but being comfortable by yourself is also really important.

      I'm about to visit your page!

      Brooke

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing, lovely post! :)

    www.eatlovemerry.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only child, pretty friendless my entire life because I ended school early and various other reasons.. I sure knew how to be alone but didn't always love it! Now I have a great small group of friends who I can count on for anything. :) It's really good to get to know yourself, though and I realize now that too many people never have gotten the chance to do so and don't realize the basics of their core personality.

    xx Sabrina
    http://thinkcreateframe.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sabrina! Thanks for the read :) I've seen that in a lot of people, too. Getting to know yourself can be truly life changing - I see people who do and don't as well as notice the differences.

      Have a lovely day xx

      Brooke

      Delete
  8. College definitely changes you. Like you said, you really need to love yourself first & foremost. If you don't, it makes finding love, friendship, solace in being alone, etc much more difficult. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Carmen. I really agree! It sounds selfish sometimes, but it's honestly for the best. Being happy is what matters! Thanks for reading :)

      Brooke

      Delete
  9. I know what you mean. I'm a very family oriented person, all my life I've always been dependent on my mom and dad. It's just whats always been comfortable to me. I come to a college not far from where I live but I will still very scared and nervous. I've never really been away from my parents. After a while I kind of was able to learn to be more independent and do things on my own. I'm very proud of myself for that and like you said I can now picture myself living in a little apartment one day. Which I'm actually really looking forward to :D because I can't wait to have a little place to my own :)

    -Crystal
    http://crystallizeddaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that you've come this far too! It was a little hard a first, but now we're ready to journey into the world. Congrats :) and thanks for reading!

      Brooke

      Delete
  10. Very beautifully written. I enjoy being alone a lot. I am super social, always have and will be, but being alone isn't a bad feeling at all. I actually quite like it. I also learned how to love myself more and in order for that to happen, I had to spend some more time alone. XO Naomi in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Naomi! I'm becoming much more social than I used to be, but I still love to be alone. Have a great day and thanks for reading!

      Brooke

      Delete
  11. Such a nice post. As much as I love being social, being alone is pretty much equally as good for me. You definitely learn to understand and appreciate yourself more. It's so important to be alone sometimes! xo

    http://naomiupton.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree :) Thanks for reading.

      Brooke

      Delete
  12. Lovely post Brookelyn. However, I am a little upset that I was not enough for you to come home for the weekend. We could have spent some quality brother and sister time together. I am glad that you got the alone time you needed though.

    With love,

    Luke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assumed you'd be spending most of Easter with Alexis, but maybe I should've come home to bond!! Thanks for reading, Lukey! :)

      Brooke

      Delete
  13. Spending time alone can be nice sometimes, especially if you're an introvert. I enjoy relaxing in my room with a good book or watching Netflix!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes having some 'you' time can be nice and relaxing! It definitely is for me because I have VERY noisy siblings! I hope you had a good Easter even though you spent it by yourself xx

    Jess
    http://springbaby06.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have noisy siblings as well :) Thanks, Jess, I'm glad you stopped by for a read.

      Delete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images