Body-shaming is Unacceptable. Period.

4:02 PM


Excuse my pictures. My drawing ability hasn't advanced since the fourth grade. They get the point across, though.

The other night my family got back from my birthday dinner just as the Billboard Music Awards were about to start. We watched primarily for the premiere of Taylor Swift's Bad Blood music video, which features a group of empowering women in the media today. I loved the message it sent - girl power (more on that later).

Later in the show, Kelly Clarkson sang one of her newer songs. Recently a new mother, Clarkson has gained a bit of weight and doesn't look like she used to. My best friend, Alyssa, was sitting next to me, texting a boy-friend about the show when he says something along the lines of:

She had that baby like a year ago, she should have her weight back together by now. 

Excuse me? 

First of all, weight loss isn' easy. It's difficult to lose five, ten, 20, or however many pounds. 

Second of all, having a baby and raising a child is hard. When you have a child, you're signing a contract that says 'My life is no longer just about bettering myself, it's about this child'. That includes many things, including weight. I doubt Kelly has an infinite amount of time on her hands to focus on losing weight, she's handling a child now, a life. 

Third of all, who is he (who is anyone) to judge where someone should be at with their body? Just because he thinks Kelly Clarkson should be smaller doesn't mean she should actually be. Maybe Kelly's really happy with where she's at right now, maybe she's working on it. Maybe she's just living her life and it's none of our business. 

Have body-shaming people ever stopped to realize that someone else's body is none of their concern? Whether or not someone is in a size two or a size ten shouldn't matter to anyone but the person wearing the jeans. 

Ridiculing someone because they're overweight is shameful and petty, and so is doing the same for someone who's smaller. I'm the kind of person that supports people no matter what their weight is - you're a 00? Awesome. You're a 20? Awesome. It's unfair to judge someone based on what their weight is, and often the media portrays the only body to have as skinny. Skinny is good, but fat, curvy, chubby, any other weight, are good too. If you need to hear that, I could say it a million times for you: however much you weight looks perfect on you, God made you the way you are, SKINNY IS GOOD, CHUBBY IS GOOD, FAT IS GOOD. YOU ARE AMAZING. *segway into to John Legend's "All of You"*

The way I see it, weight is just as much of a preference as eye color or hair color. Different ones work great on people, but you can't change the one you were given (most of the time). Some people are born with blue eyes, brown hair, and a busty body. Some are born with brown eyes, red hair, and a super thin body. Sometimes it just isn't our choice what we're given, especially concerning genes and certain medical dysfunctions which don't allow someone to be that "ideal" weight, but we learn to love ourselves. Learn to love others, too. 

I know for a fact that people stand with me on this, and that the boy she was talking to might even be in a minority after how much talk has been done on this subject. It just got me upset, so I decided to write about it. There are various reasons why people aren't the media's idea of the "ideal" weight, and it's so unfair to judge someone based on that. 

How would you react if someone sent you a text like that?

I hope you're having a great start to the weekend,




You Might Also Like

40 comments

  1. I just loved this post so much. You're completely right, someone's weight shouldn't be anyone's problem. Also, it kind of lessened my insecurities. Everyone's body is different just like their hair color or eye color. This is a really good post. Needed this.

    www.mystictales.co

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy if I help in any way Yousra! :)

      Delete
  2. This is so crazy! Amazing post! I think more people need to know about this!

    xo, Lizz
    Elizzabeth Hope Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, thank you. I need to read something like this, I have two children and battling weight loss on and off since the day they were born, is not easy.

    www.love-joice.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your journey, Joice! It's not easy, just know that wherever you are with your weight is great.

      Delete
  4. Love this post! With social media now body shaming has just got out of control! No one ever has the right to judge another, especially on their body! Everyone has different bodies, genetics, stress, and problems, that person doesn't know what they are going through! It also goes with the reverse of people calling someone too skinny, which I get all the time! People tell me I need to go eat a hamburger and stuff to my face and thinks it's funny! Well hunny I just ate two today, I am sorry I have a fast metabolism! So fustrating! People just need to learn to keep their mouth shut and love everyone no matter what size they are! Sorry it hit home! ;) Have a great weekend!

    <3 Shannon
    Upbeat Soles
    

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So agree with what you've said about social media! It's horrible, making people think that every one else has things figured out. I've heard what you've said about being told to eat a hamburger before, and it's not fun either way (being told to eat one or being told to lay off of one). Thanks for the thoughtful comment.

      Delete
  5. This is a great post! I completely agree!! No one should ever make someone else feel bad because of the way they look.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GIRL, PREACH IT. It's ridiculous how we've been campaigning so hard in the contemporary world about loving everyone equally, whether it be based on physical appearances, intelligence, sexuality, etc, and there are still people out there making snide remarks about others. It's outrageous! Thank you so much for this post, Brooke. YOU GO.

    May x • The MaydenBloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading May :) We've been fighting hard, and I figured one more battle (via post) wouldn't hurt.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for an amazing post!!! I strongly agree with you..

    Lots of love xxx
    Candice | Beauty Candy Loves

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely post, you can really sense how passionately you feel about this - which is a very, very good thing! I completely agree that body shaming should become a thing of the past and I can understand why that text made your blood boil!

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you , thank you, thank you! Do not judge someone based on how they look! We're born differently, not everyone is going to be tall as Taylor, not everyone is going to be curvy as Kelly. I just can't stand when someone judges someone else based on their body. Just ugghhhh.... Great post, Brooke!

    xx Bash | Bash Says Hey | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bash! I believe even taylor has talked about being insecure about her weight. It goes both ways.

      Delete
  10. Brilliant post , I agree with you completely! x
    fashionismyfirstlanguage.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed reading it!! I totally agree with u!! :-)
    Have a good weekend!! Xoxo
    http://www.sweetsimpleday.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. YES!! Brooke! I couldn't agree with you more <3 Body Shaming just needs to stop, (like you said) it really isn't anyones business to judge other people. Negative words will always have a bigger impact on people then they should which is why it is important that we pay more attention to what we say, even if we "didn't mean it like that".
    I would have been livid if someone sent me a message like that >:( Body Positivity all the way!

    -Crystal
    http://crystallizeddaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Love your drawing haha it's so cute! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks girl :) Firm believer in the saying "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all"

      Delete
  13. amen!! I agree with you 100%. it truly is no one's business nor right to judge someone else's body. i'm glad you posted this and spoke out against all the body shamers out there. all power to ya girl!! xx

    http://haileylauderdale.blogspot.com
    http://closetofgypsies.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic post! I wrote about the same subject a while ago, although I definitely feel the need to bring it up again because body-shaming is indeed unacceptable. So are double standards. Thank you for sharing.

    xo Naomi in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is amazing! You're so right! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a very inspiring post.
    We shouldn't estimate people by their size.
    XO

    Check my new post.
    The Bandwagon Chic | Instagram | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how you refer to weight as a preference, because it is exactly that. Women and men try to conform themselves to other people's preference in weight but I promise that for every one person that doesn't like your body type there are 10 people who do.

    -The MakeupMama

    http://www.themakeupmama.com/2015/05/makeupmama-tip-9-beach-makeup.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm naturally a chubby person but I sure eat healthy! People can be just so downright mean sometimes which is totally UNCOOL and UNCALLED FOR. This is an inspiring post and more people should know about this

    Salvé at INDIE KITTY

    ReplyDelete
  19. Perfect post! I couldn't agree more, we need to be accepting of all body types so everyone can feel happy and confident in themselves!!! x
    http://whiteshirtchic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a great and informative post! It can be so hard not to compare ourselves to the media's idea of the "perfect woman" or quick to judge others. Thanks for writing this!

    ~Lor @ lovelyandcozy.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow great powerful post hun and I completely agree it's a disgrace, I have had people say that to me when I went from a uk size 4 to a 6- that I looked chubby, shouldn't be wearing certain things etc I was like OMG you have no idea about someones journey/how they feel it's none of your business! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this post! Body shaming is absolutely horrible. As someone who is into fitness more than anything, I often hear other people talking bad about body shapes. I hear some people laughing at the more overweight people in the gym. I get so disgusted because I think to myself, "at least they're making a freaking change in their life!" I love when I see people embracing their body shapes and sizes. It's just so empowering to know that there's more to confidence than just physical looks.

    Connie | Sponsored by Coffee | Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it horrible that they're laughing at them. They're trying to get fit, just like the thinner people in the gym. I hate getting looked down upon as a smallish girl in the gym too; people think I can't do anything or I need help with the machines...I'm not dumb. Thanks for the thoughtful comment Connie!

      Delete
  23. Cute doodles! Losing weight after having a baby is definitely not easy! Being a mother and juggling everything else in your life at the same time can just take sooo much life and energy.

    By the way dear, I finally got the Google Friend Connect button on my site working and would love if you could give my blog a follow. Thank you! :)

    www.jeannechristinemarie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi lovely, what a great post, I totally agree with you!! we all unique and beautiful in our own way.xx
    Glamoury Armory Blog

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yeah, everybody is good in him\her own way.

    http://anna-alina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Definitely an important post to read & a relevant topic. Health should be the priority, not judging someone by their weight. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  27. Inspiring post! It shouldn't matter what people look like, it's what's on the inside that counts. x

    http://ditsysprinkles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  28. Loved reading this post, really hit home! Can't wait for the next update :)

    littleladyzahra.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  29. I couldn't agree with you more. I really like that you decided to make a blog post about this topic :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I def agree with you, your such an inspiration for talking about this

    check out my newest post
    xx
    Tyana
    cityofglitter.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love this post! It's absolutely brilliant! Couldn't agree more.

    Jemima x
    anotherrantingreader.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images