Fairytales vs. Real Life - Similarities Triumph

12:18 PM



Maybe I've been watching a little bit too much Once Upon a Time lately, but its got me thinking about fairytales...a lot. Some people constantly reiterate to others that life "isn't a fairytale", and while that's true - I mean, we're not sitting around kissing frogs and getting princes or being sent to balls by our fairy godmother...- I don't think there's anything wrong with thinking that life can be like a fairytale.

First, let's examine the differences:
- Literally, there's no magic in our lives. As far as I know, we can't cast spells, make potions, or anything along those lines.
- There's also mythical creatures in fairytales, which would be both cool and frightening in real life. Personally, I'm glad I wasn't born a centaur because those legs are outrageous. If that's your spirit animal, then fine; I didn't mean to offend you.
- Something seen a bit in real life is the royalty aspect of fairytales; there's usually a king, queen, prince, or princess of some sort in the mix. Some countries do have that, but not where I live.

Those are really the only differences that I can come up with, mostly because all of the other differences that people might argue I can see reflected in real life:
- Sure, there's no magic but special moments can seem magic, if you allow them to.
- Fairytales have good and evil characters, and so does real life. I think where you stand impacts your perception of who's good and evil, but they exist.
- Life, like fairytales, has all sorts of struggles - struggles in poverty, self, and love amongst others. It's not always easy for these characters who seem like they've got it made.It's important to note that while things seem like they always go right in Disney fairytales, that's not always how they were originally written. In the original version of The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen, the mermaid doesn't get to spend the rest of her life with her prince...she pretty much just turns into seafoam so that she doesn't have to kill him. That's brutal. Have you taken my point that these things aren't always perfect? Just like life.
- We all have dreams and goals and some of us will stop at no means to achieve those ends.
- We all want love and happy endings and while they're not always achieved, some people do get there. It's just hard to muster up the courage to say happy endings exist, just maybe not for me. I think we can all agree to that.

This is coming from the most hopeful part of myself, which hasn't been around too often lately. You might not be an actual princess, but you deserve to feel like one. If you wish you were in a fairytale, take a look at the similarities and maybe you'll find that your life is a lot more similar to one than you thought. Until then, I'll just be over here impersonating Charlotte Elizabeth Diana...never-mind that she's like, a week old.

I might make a post discussing my last point - happy endings exist, just maybe not for me. It really strikes me as something I'd like to write about.

I hope you have found throughout this post that you live in your own version of a fairytale,


You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. Hmm, I never thought about fairytales vs. my own life!
    Meg of An Affair of Character

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I think exactly like you, about real life vs fairytales.
    Thank you dear, I'm now following you.
    Have an amazing weekend.
    xx
    Blog: adonadasushi.blogspot.pt
    FB Page: facebook.com/blogdadonadasushi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy endings exist, just maybe not for me. I love that. And agree it takes courage to admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so interesting, I love the idea that life is a fairytale!x

    itseverythingerin.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great post! I personally think that fairytales give us hopes, maybe sometimes a little too much unrealistic expectations but a world without fairytales is like a world without air. Fairytales allow us to dream and they teach us that no matter who you are, anything can happen. You can live out your wildest dreams if you believe and sure it sounds so cliche but it's a nice little sense of hope. I'd love to hear what you have to say about your last point :) can't wait to read it.

    -Crystal
    http://crystallizeddaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great post Brooke. Thank you for sharing. Also, thank you for visiting my blog. Life is "what you make it". Maybe if it doesn't exist, you can create it. For example, doing something really great with one's life takes a lot of hard work. Sometimes achieving great things can seem like an unreachable goal like a fairytale, because few are dedicated enough to put in the hard work to get there. When someone does this, the fairytale will no longer exist. Their reality will be attaining that seemingly unreachable goal (the fairytale). Just my take on it:)

    astylishlovestory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is very nice, have a nice day :)

    http://edsheeranpl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. very nice post!
    would u like to follow each other..?
    pls let me know..
    Have a nice Sunday
    isidora
    http://highheelpoodl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the last part: I feel like we do have to live in our version of a fairytale, and I actually do think magic exists. Not the way we see in movies, but you know, magic in smaller parts of our lives! Would love to read more about this subject!

    XO Naomi in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed reading your post. xx
    http://www.ninasstyleblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, I love this! <3 I think it's true that we live in our own little fairytale, and we must put a little magic in it to make us believe in that! Haha <3

    xx Bash | Bash Says Hey | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love this, I am obsessed with fairytales and fantasy and I am coming up to 22...don't judge me! A part of me still hopefully wishes that magic exists haha I know it doesn't, but there are magic things in life, like miracles and beautiful places! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a great post! I totally believe a person can have that "happy ending" kind of life. Maybe things like kissing frogs or having a Fairy Godmother isn't exactly realistic, but every girl can be that princess they dream about and live happily ever after some day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love this post! I love how similar fairy tales are to real life if you start seeing things that way.

    Connie | Sponsored by Coffee | Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely post! Fairy tales are so different to real life but there are some similarities!

    Serena / www.ramblingsofanotherunistudent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was such a lovely read! Can't wait for the next post :)

    littleladyzahra.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images