How to Stay Positive

8:21 AM



I think that we can all agree that it's impossible to stay positive 100% of the time. If we enjoyed failure and sadness, something would seem seriously wrong with us. The truth is that bad things happen and we can't control them or the emotions that follow.

I think a good thing to do when you're in situations like this is take a step back from what's going on and have some 'you'-time. (I'm one of those crazy 'me'-time people...it helps, I promise). It helps to remind yourself of the little things that you have going for you, and they can truly bring you back to a more positive place.

~ Listen to a happy song. Dance along.   

    - I'm a strong believer that if everyone were to dance to one song a day, we'd be rid of a lot of problems.
    - Here are some suggestions:
       
         Better together - Jack Johnson
         Without Love - Hairspray Cast
         Girl Almighty - One Direction
         Accidentally in Love - Counting Crows
         Our Song - Taylor Swift

~ Read some inspirational quotes.     


    - I find that reading some of these can really boost my motivation and the way I feel. It's good to remind yourself of your values, morals, and goals. Find a few and tape them to your desk, wall, fridge, or anywhere else that you know you'll see everyday or when you're feeling down.

~ Go on Pinterest. 

    - What's better than some good looking food, crafts, and outfits?

~ Eat a small piece of chocolate.     

    - This is kind of cheating because it will release endorphins in your brain, but that's why you only eat a small piece. It gives you a kick start.

~ Drink a glass of water. 

    - Water is cleansing, and we rarely get enough of it. Sometime I find that drinking some water can offer me a fresh start. Put some lemons, cucumbers, oranges, etc. in your water for some extra fresh taste.

~ Take a shower. 

    - Ditto to everything I said about water. We all need clean starts sometimes.

~ Wear a cute outfit. 

    - Look good, feel good. Am I right?

~ Read a book/ Do something you enjoy. 

    - Book suggestions:

         Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell
         The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls
         Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins
         The House on Mango Street - Sandra Cisneros
         Maya's Notebook - Isabel Allende
         A Little Something Different - Sandy Hall

~ Paint your nails. 

    - Maybe do something fun or peaceful - pinks, yellows, blues, lavenders. This would give you some time to think and also give you a fresh and clean feeling :)

~ Exercise. 

    - Exercising rids our body of toxins and also boosts our endorphins. It's good to try to sweat at least  once a day, but a lot of us might not have time for that. Try to get out for a walk if it's nice, or check out a fun YouTube video.

~ Surround yourself with happy people. 

    - This can be hard, because everyone is going through different things. Don't rely solely on one person to be your "happy" person...everyone has bad days. Find a group of people that you can be around, even at different times. Talk positivity with them, I find that this really helps.

~ Smile. Even if it's just in the mirror to yourself. 

    - Sometimes you just have to look yourself in the eyes, say "I can do this," and spread a smile across your face. I feel much brighter when I do :) Smile at others as well, this can spread positivity and make yourself feel good at the same time.

Let me know what your favorite ways to stay positive are in the comments! Thanks for reading, if you made it this far :)

Your friend,



You Might Also Like

46 comments

  1. lovely!
    xo
    Valentina
    http://fashionneed09.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love blogs like this that try to spread positivity! Great taste in music by the way! ;o) x

    http://ditsysprinkles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blogpost has really put a smile on my face and encouraged me to be more positive :) x

    itseverythingerin.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad Erin! :) Thanks for reading

      Delete
  4. Love all your book suggestions! This post was exactly what I needed during finals :)

    Stephanie
    petitepastels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is really great :) There is nothing better then being able to spend some time with yourself. I think that sometimes we have to see the bad in order to see the good in things, so just as important as the good things are we can't avoid the bad. Which is why this post is great to help with those days so thank you for the tips :)

    -Crystal
    http://crystallizeddaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the world is so good that we can't avoid the good either! I'm glad you liked this Crystal!

      Delete
  6. I love the Stephanie Perkins trilogy so much!
    Peace xo
    www.waitwhatok.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're my favorite! Such good teen romance reads.

      Delete
  7. YES YES YES! I agree that we need sadness and opposites to fully appreciate the good times but it's not nice and we shouldn't wallow in it. I never used to drink water and now I do everyday all day and makes such a difference, as does exercise..and DANCING! Sometimes I even do a little lying down bed dance haha xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dancing is the best! I'm so glad that you agree :)

      Delete
  8. I love, love, love posts like this and its so nice to see the support and people helping one another on staying positive - sometimes it can be hard and I love seeing this :)

    Layla xx

    www.sprinklesofstyle.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you fot tips ♥ This post is amazing ♥
    http://lucastira.blogspot.cz/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, thanks for checking it out!

      Delete
  10. dance to a song in one day goes a long way, you're so right about that :) love this post x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Listening to lively songs really does help and dancing along to it. I also like to write or paint inorder to keep inspired

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Writing and art are also huge sources of relaxation for me as well :)

      Delete
  12. Great advice. When I'm feeling a little down I go on a walk, the fresh air is really cleansing I feel, and it allows me to focus on something else instead of sitting indoors feeling sorry for myself.

    Sarah xo | PolkaDotLemon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the outdoors is so refreshing. Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  13. Love this post! Also, I LOVE the playlist. "Better Together" is definitely a beautiful song to staying positive. One of the songs that always relaxes me is Rebelution's Fade Away. You should give it a listen! :D

    Connie | Sponsored by Coffee | Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to go listen to that song now :) Thanks for letting me know

      Delete
  14. I really like your tips! Although I have to stay away from Pinterest sometimes...I get caught up in "oh, wouldn't it be nice if.." if I am in a bad mood. If I'm in a good mood, I'm like, "ok, if I'm going to make an olive oil cake, I'll need this much more flour, and this much more of cinnamon...If I go to the store, I can have the cake in 2 hours..." haha! Have a great day!!
    Meg of An Affair of Character

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of it that way, but I guess that would be a reason to avoid pinterest! Might have to be a good mood kind of thing :)

      Delete
  15. Love this post so much, really great advice <3 xx

    www.monochromeroses.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this post so much, really great advice <3 xx

    www.monochromeroses.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great list!
    If the weather is good, I love taking walks. Strolling along and being in touch with nature is a great stress reliever and definitely helps make me feel better! I also enjoy naps, and find putting on a bunch of 'Friends' episodes always has a way to cheer me up :)

    ~Lor @ lovelyandcozy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes naps are lovely and friends is a great way to cool down :)

      Delete
  18. What a lovely, happy post :) I can relate to doing a lot of these often with the intentions to keep positive <3 xx

    Sammie | sammiephotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This such a lovely and inspiring post :) I love all the tips you've given especially about the one eating some chocolate haha xx
    Danielle ||Miss Sunshine & Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great list! I definitely agree that having a shower can help you stay positive! Going on pinterest is fun too :) I like looking at pictures of yummy chocolate and cute animals!

    Serena / www.ramblingsofanotherunistudent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My go to search is looking up desserts..but then of course I only crave them

      Delete
  21. i enjoy biking around and listening to music to keep me positive!! :D

    Have a great week!
    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds relaxing :) You have a great week too!

      Delete
  22. I use to think it was easy for me to stay positive, but nowadays, it's just getting harder and harder. These are such helpful tips! Thank you so much Brooke! <3

    xx Bash | Bash Says Hey | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting harder for me too, especially being away from everyone I met at college this year. I'm glad you liked the tips :)

      Delete
  23. love this

    check out my newest post
    xx
    Tyana
    cityofglitter.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Usually happy songs and a shower go hand in hand for me! :) I have speakers in my bathroom that I hook my phone up to. Pinterest always makes me super happy! If only I could have all the things I pin! I get joy out of pinning cute outfits, baby things, and inspirational quotes or bible verses. I wanted to let you know that I finally did my Liebster questions! I know....I totally forgot about it. But I thought I would let you know and I really enjoyed this post. Great ideas! :) http://www.neisasnook.com/2015/05/liebster-award-2-answers.html#.VUuC_ZOrFgs

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love to just spend some quality time catching up with my friends and family! Great post xx

    labellwong.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images