Life: side effects may vary.

9:13 PM


Recently I've been prescribed a lot of medications. I feel like I'm getting older, which I am but it really doesn't count yet because I'm only 19.

So I've been prescribed a lot of medications and with these medications comes various spiels..."Don't take this with dairy or carbohydrates, you may experience nausea, headaches, blood clots, strokes, weight gain...etc."

The words run around in my head for days before I realize that they aren't happening to me (except for when they are happening to me). I recently got put on something for my acne problem that basically promised (according to the internet, not my doctor) at least 15 pounds weight gain, and I'm still freaking out about it. I try too hard to be healthy to be set back by one little pill. 

The thing that I've realized and I'm still trying to come to terms with is this: life has side effects, and you can't really worry about them. The life-doctor can look you in the eye and say, "living may cause side effects such as loss, heartbreak, tears, insecurities, unhappiness, etc. To avoid this pain you may want to look into digging yourself a hole (perhaps your future grave?) to live in until the end of the world. Avoid breathing, laughing, falling in love, caring for anyone or anything, smiling, dancing, and most importantly your own thoughts. By steering clear of these things you should avoid the side-effects, but contact your primary physician if they begin happening anyway (which they will)."

The point is that life happens, and the good things aren't going to happen without the bad. It's important to remember to live and forget about all of those silly side-effects that can happen along the way as long as you're happy where you are. Sure, my medicine might make me gain some weight. MIGHT. And sure, falling in love might lead to heartbreak. MIGHT. That doesn't mean you shouldn't go for something for all of the benefits it might give you.

Laugh without thinking that in two hours you might be crying, fall in love without thinking that it could lead to heartbreak, care for people without thinking of the world without them, dance without thinking of breaking your legs (or worse, embarrassing yourself), commit yourself to deep self-reflection because you will grow without worrying about the dark places you might discover. Do things without the fear of their consequences, please. Don't get held back by that thought in your head.  

Here's a little exercise for you. Think about that one thing you've always wanted to do. Now go do it. 

Life isn't what's stopping you. 

Do great things, 



Holy bananas. I just turned a post about my complaints of side-effects for medicine into a motivational post on doing what you want to do. What in the world. Side note, I'm going to take that medicine despite it perhaps causing weight gain; I'd like to figure out what's going on with my body and this might allow me to do so. If I experience too negative of side-effects, I'll ask my doctor if I can try a different medication. I really believe it's worth a try though. 

You Might Also Like

18 comments

  1. Lovely post!! Enjoyed reading!! You are absolutely right.
    Xoxo

    http://www.sweetsimpleday.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love posts that aren't super planned out. I can totally hear you in this post, even though I've never even ment you before (haha). It's so true that the thing that can stop you the most is yourself.

    <3
    Stephanie
    petitepastels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very inspiring post!! And don't worry about the medicine - they probably just say it can "cause weight" as a precaution; I was once prescribed to meds and they said the same thing to me (there didn't seem to be a difference?) I really love this post, though! It teaches you to literally think, "Eh - you win some, you lose some. Life is short: just enjoy it!"

    ~Lor @ lovelyandcozy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey I think you just subconsciously took the bad out of your thoughts and turned them in to good with this amazing post!! :D *slow claps* That was amazing!! I loved every single word and every single word was so true! I personally don't do a lot of things that I wish I would have because of that little voice in my head that always holds me back. You are so right! It's very important to just start enjoying things while you have them and not spend time worrying about it.

    -Crystal
    http://crystallizeddaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, this isn't just about medicines huh? Kudos to making this as an inspiring one. Don't worry about the side effects. Think about the good it may give you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you're only 19, Brooke, you sound wise beyond your years. Like you've been through many life's ups and downs before and I meant it in a very good way. I wish more teenagers are like you then maybe less younglings make foolish mistakes. Take the good with the bad and continue smiling is a good way to tackle life.

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, such an inspiration! You're going to make a fantastic teacher someday :)

    http://ditsysprinkles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. life has side effects :) you're so wise for your age Brooke, and i love that. also, i hope the acne problem will go away before you know it, it's the hormones i think! stay happy xx

    sharon ∞ eight shores

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *talking from experience! i had major acne issues when i was around your age too, and they went away, and the scars are long gone too by now :)

      Delete
  9. Enjoyed reading this post darling! Thanks for sharing!!
    Baci,
    Coco et La vie en rose - Valeria Arizzi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you are just doing fine.
    I know everything will be just fine soon.
    Don't mind the weight gain, what matter's is your health'
    XO
    Check my new post.
    The Bandwagon Chic | Instagram | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey there, I have nominated you for a Liebster Award! I apologize in advance because you might have more than 200 followers but just in case you'd like to check it out, here's a link to my blog to see the post: http://hungoverrfictionlover.blogspot.com
    Happy Reading and Writing (:

    ReplyDelete
  12. Girl I love reading this; well not about your healthy issues (I hope you'll figure it out soon and that your pill won't make you gain 15 pounds which I'm sure it won't) but I loved the title of this post the most. Life has side-effects, doesn't mean we can't try things :)

    xx -n
    Naomi in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  13. So true!! I definately have to stop holding back and just go for it!
    Have a great day :)
    Rosanna x
    Rose’s Rooftop

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely the kick up the butt I needed.. Thank you very much Brooke <3 xxxx

    VanessaVonJames | Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how you've turned your mass of medication into such a positive! I have also been taking acne tablets for a few months now to beat a breakout on my chin - if this course of tablets isn't right for you and causes weight gain, there are plenty of others out there to try! Good luck :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice
    x

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is such a great perspective!

    dianavilic.com

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images