A Pile of Manuscripts with One Goal

11:35 PM

I'm a planning machine; I have a systematic brain that pumps out what she wants. If you're anything like me, one goal turns into another goal the minute the first one is completed. All of my life, my most colossal objective has been to write a novel. It was something that didn't seem achievable to me.

I didn't know that I could complete it in just one month (NaNoWriMo), or even less than that.


As the story would unfold, I did write a novel. It's not one that I ever plan on revisiting. However, I now had a new target in mind: write another. What could be better than having two novels under my belt at the age of 18-19?

I did. I wrote and I wrote and I wrote. My entire life's autobiography would read only those eight words: I wrote and I wrote and I wrote. I finished that novel, and now I'm in the process of writing another NaNoWriMo. Yet, it has only very recently occurred to me that at the young age of 19, I've written two and a half, almost three now that I'm nearly finished with my NaNoWriMo for this year, novels. Not many can say that. 

It also occurred to me that my goals need to change. Yes, I can write a novel; I've done it more than two times now. Simple. Piece of cake. What I need to do is edit the novel, to perfect it to my liking. So what's my current goal? Well, I'd like to finish my NaNoWriMo novel and then begin editing the novel that I wrote this summer. 

Editing is a grand journey. It's a picky, dissecting adventure. The world adventure probably isn't suiting...Anyway, It's hard to go back into your words and decide which ones are worthy still, which pieces of the plot just don't fit, no matter how much you love that scene. Nevertheless, I get excited every day about writing and editing. I'm going to pursue this dream.

Why am I telling you? It makes me accountable to my word. I find that sharing my goals with others gives me two times the drive to finish them. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but it works, and that's the only party my driven, goal-oriented brain cares about. 

What comes after editing? I've been looking into it. Probably querying to agents. It sounds both snobby (I'm Brooke and I'm going to be sending my book to agents to get published.), naive, and unbelievable that I've even come to a place where I can see myself reaching this step. The unknown part, the part I'm not sure will ever happen, is publishing. I know that I can write a query letter and send it off to agents that I find in books and online. That's not the hard part. It's the part that's out of my control: getting the agent to take me under them and then have them get me a publishing deal. 

Your goals are only as big as you make them. I once thought I could never write a novel. I didn't know that all I had to do was, excuse me Nike, for stealing your phrase, do it. Now I'm doing it. I know that what's beyond my control isn't worth worrying about. Writing is what I love to do, and I would love to make other people happy with it as well some day. For now, it's what gets me excited and happy about going to each new day, and that's all that matters. I'm following my dreams. 

Gosh it feels good to say that.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images