Recommendation and Review: "The Jewel" by Amy Ewing

11:16 PM

Hello avid readers and not-so-avid-readers!

Fan of The Hunger Games series? Also love Kiera Cass' Selection novels? I just finished a book that combines the sacrificial, dystopian aspects of The Hunger Games with the royalty pieces of The Selection, as well as incorporating strong female characters like those in both series.

This book has sat in a bag of books on my bedroom floor at home since the beginning of this summer, and I finally decided to read it over Thanksgiving break. I regret the decision to put it off for so long. Like, I really, really regret it.

Violet Lasting won't be Violet Lasting for long. Within days, mere hours of her life, she will be sent to The Jewel, where she will serve as a surrogate to a woman of royalty desiring to have a child. She's trained in Auguries, special powers that will enable her to make the baby grow faster, stronger, and even better looking. After being torn apart from her family, even the riches of the palace cannot calm Violet, known as #197 in her new home at the House of the Lake. Sure, the Dutchess of the Lake is better to her than most owners would be to their surrogates, but Violet cannot stand the idea of being seen as property. She hates that she has no choice in her present or future. When she stumbles into the man hired to tame the Dutchess' niece for marriage, she cannot help but fall in love with the him, who feels these the same was as her. However, the consequences of their relationship may be more than the two are willing to give up.

Review and Recommendation --

To be honest, this book played out a lot better than I thought it would. Ewing's writing is magnificent; I found it to be more appealing to me than usual science fiction and fantasy writing, which usually steers me toward the contemporary genre. Her writing is both poetically descriptive as well as informative and straight forward in spots where it must be. I don't mean to generalize the genre, but to boast her writing skills. In addition, this book was definitely what I would call a page turner. I never got bored with it, didn't want to put it down once. I read it in about a day and a half.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading young adult fiction, no matter what genre you prefer. However, considering violent and sexual scenes, I would not recommend it to those under the age of 12 or 13.

I give Amy Ewing 4/5 stars for The Jewel, the first in a trilogy that includes some short story e-books. I am currently reading The White Rose, the sequel to the first book, and it is no disappointment. I have a feeling this will become one of my new favorite series.

I hope this gives you a good idea as to whether or not this series would be a good one for you!

Have a wonderful week,


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images