The First Snow

8:33 AM



I've woken up to the first snow this morning, water freezing just enough to be made something different. I am reminded, like a lot of deep thinkers, that snow is a symbol of death, and quite frequently, realizations of one's own disappointments. 

Too often I feel like a disappointment to everyone around me. I feel like I'm not good enough, not outgoing enough, not supportive enough, not friendly enough; not enough. I've recently had a friend tell me: you cannot give 100% to everyone you love or like. That would be insane. You simply cannot be everything to everyone. All you can do is be good. Not good enough, just good. And you are, she said. 

Yet I woke up this morning still worried about the things that I am always worried about, and I remembered a verse that I read just yesterday: "Am I now seeking human approval, or God's approval? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still pleasing people, I would not be a servant of Christ."  (Galatians 1:10). The fact is that my people pleasing nature has followed me and been nurtured throughout many phases of my life. It is time that I say no to my instincts and impulses and look to God for real approval. And like many times before, He has brought me rest and peace. 

Snow is also a symbol for tranquility, and its melted form stands for renewal. Snow and change will come but we will always have God. I'm reminded that in Christ, I am made new, and I can only do my best for others while I seek God's approval, not everyone else's. 

We use salt to melt snow. Maybe life, like snow, needs to be taken with a grain of it. Perhaps God froze me in the moment as well, to guide me as usual toward what really matters. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images