"Present Over Perfect" by Shauna Niequist / Book Review

9:04 PM


A friend of mine gave me Present Over Perfect last week as a gift. She knows me well; I don't even have to tell her when something is wrong, she just knows. She knows my deepest struggles, which is why she bought me this book.

The struggle with having it all together, trying to please everyone but those who I truly love, and not having enough time in the day for God is very near to me.

I picked this book up at the perfect moment. I'd just finished having a meltdown, thinking about next semester and all that it will bring. I teared up, but I didn't let them drop down on my cheeks. I simply blinked the pain back until I could contain it, numb it.

Little did I know that this book would hold the answers. Or maybe not the answers, but a path. A path that I believe God wants me to be on. I've been paving a way for myself that I thought met His needs, when I actually didn't have enough time for the most basic thing God asks of me: to walk with Him, to talk with Him, to have a relationship with Him.

I haven't been doing that.

Shauna Niequist wrote the book that tells people how to slow down, how to appreciate life for all that it is and not all that we want to make it. She shows us how to focus on our body, soul, and relationship with God. She emphasizes relationships with our family and friends versus a "busy" life that prevents us from cultivating meaningful relationships.

This is a book about living life the right way, they way that I've struggled to pinpoint for so long.

I highly recommend it to anyone who feels like their life is too hectic, who regrets not creating meaningful relationships with those who matter, or anyone who just wants to slow down.

It's not going to be easy, that's for sure. And not everyone is going to agree with the decisions you make regarding making peace in your life. It's not about them, though. It's about you and God.

The one thing I didn't like about the book was the unorganized feel it had to it. I understood the goals of each chapter, but not necessarily how they were interconnected within each part of the book.

Besides that, I give it 5/5 stars. What a great way to start the New Year.

And yes, that is my mermaid blanket underneath the book in this photo.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images