Being a cat person in a dog person world. An introvert in an extrovertworld.

5:56 PM

My name is Brooke and I am a cat person.

I repeat, my name is Brooke and I am a cat person.

That's right, World. YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT. I'm tired of being shamed for loving cats, and I'm here to take a stand on it. I'm sick and tired of being called a "crazy cat lady" just because I like cats.

I think this is a bigger issue than just cats vs. dogs, though. I think it's more of an introvert vs. extrovert kind of debate. Each side is good, but the extroverts know that their way is better.

It's hard to be a cat person in a dog person world, an introvert in an extrovert world. The truth is, this is something I've struggled with my entire life. As an introvert, I've compared myself to extroverts since middle school, and still do today in college. I wish my mind would shut up for just two seconds about "you should say something more," or "they probably think you're weird for not talking," and "be a little more bubbly, like her."


For some reason, society shames introverts. They pin us as shy, boring, and stiff. In reality, we're thoughtful, observant, and intellectual. It's hard to understand what's going on beneath the surface with an introvert, but there's a lot under there. When I take myself into consideration, there are stories, compliments, analysis,  questions, facts, etc. all inside. If you get close enough to me, you might be able to know those things.

It's become very hard for me to see past what society labels me. Shut-in. Antisocial. Quiet. Boring. Weird. But I'm getting better at it. I'm learning to say "no" to more things, especially the things that aren't me. Trying to fit in only makes it worse. Instead, I focus on things that make me happy: reading, writing, the Internet in general, painting, baking, doing crafts. When I do those things, I feel my self-confidence go up. Partially because I'm good at these things, and partially because they make me feel good. When we, as introverts, attempt to act like extroverts, we feel miserable and we fail. We must do the things that bring us pleasure.

I'm not blaming the extrovert here. It's not your fault/decision that the world chooses to value your natural qualities more than mind. But I do wish that more extroverts could begin to understand why we aren't like them. Or just accept it and move on.

I'm glad that we have both kinds of people, who prefer either dogs or cats. Without my extrovert friends, I'd have far fewer experiences to write and think about. Without my introvert friends, I would have far fewer people to relate to and talk deep subjects with.

But just to be clear, I'm an introvert and...I like to go out (sometimes); I like to adventure; I like to hangout with friends; I like to talk (if we're going past surface level); and I also like to get reading for bed at 8pm and read until my eyes can't open; to eat dinner alone in my room; to write in the early hours of the morning; and I love cats because they're chill and not as overwhelming as dogs.

I'm sure extroverts like that stuff too, but could you stop shaming me for liking it a little bit more?








You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images